TRAVEL & FIELD WORK SAFETY
UBC is committed to supporting the safety and wellbeing of members of the UBC community who travel as part of their work, research and/or education. The Travel & Field Safety program applies to university-related activities that occur off of UBC campus locations whether it be for a field trip, field research or business trip. It is designed to provide the guidance, tools and resources to University trip planners to meet regulatory requirements and to support the safety of UBC community members who are traveling and / or performing field work. This program does not apply to student practicums and related support functions by university faculty.
NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and associated travel restrictions, International travel and field work is not currently part of the Travel and Field Safety program. Any associated requests will be addressed on a case-by-case basis. For inquiries, contact email@example.com (Vancouver) or firstname.lastname@example.org (Okanagan).
Field Safety Planning
- Familiarize yourself with BC’s current province wide restrictions.
- Ensure you have a field safety plan for your field work activity. Refer to the “Field Safety Planning Templates and Checklists” section for further guidance.
- (Recommended) Prior to submission, you can request a review of your COVID-19 Field Work Safety Plan by contacting:
- Submit your plans for approval
Field Safety Planning Templates and Checklists
The Following templates and checklist will assist supervisors who wish to develop or enhance the field work safety plans. Please review the following and use according to your field work activity.
- Field Work Safety Plan Template: Use of this template will assist supervisors in developing a safety plan that will meet health and safety regulatory requirements
- Field Work Safety Plan- UBC Requirements Checklist: Use this checklist to double-check that you have provided all of the necessary information for approval. This checklist has been designed to support your Field Work planning (not required).
- UBC Field Safety Plan – COVID-19 Addendum: Researchers can attach/incorporate their COVID-19 health and safety requirements into their existing approved Field Work Safety Plan. (See “COVID-19 Requirements” section for more information)
- UBC Field Safety Plan COVID-19 Checklist: Use of this checklist, supervisors can review their plans to make sure they meet the University’s COVID-19 health and safety requirements.